TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: Like yours, only better

FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast View Post
Funny thing is, I can name so many engine products that are snake oil and are sold in retail stores.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
We are in a Walmart generation; if it isn't sold at Walmart, people think they are over-paying.
Both QFT! I'm all for saving money, but WalMart availability is not a seal of approval in my book. Maybe the sheeple out there think that way, but not me.

Here is why I no longer use M1. I used to have a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT wagon 5speed that I bought new. 250hp/253tq at the wheels on a Mustang dyno(baseline on same dyno was 190ish on hp/tq). After bumping the power up like that, and knowing the Subaru propensity for eating turbo's due to clogging banjo bolt oil screens, I decided to try synthetics. I filled with M1. 3000 miles later, down a quart. Huh? That's funny, she never used oil before Topped her off, then changed at 5K. Same thing next time. WTF? Compression and leakdown, good. Topped off and changed to Redline at next fill. No losses whatsoever between OCI's. Tried Amsoil, same results as the Redline, but smoother running(on my supremely calibrated butt dyno).

So, somehow I lost M1 when I never lost a drop of the dino or the two better grade synthetics.

I sold the LGT and bought a 2002 Z06. It came with M1 from the factory. Ok, I'll keep it in there, it's what GM gave it. 3000 miles, down a quart. F this, back to Amsoil for the rest of the time I owned the car. No oil usage after changing away from the M1. Right after I bought the Z06, but before I switched out of the M1, I met a Mobil rep at Mid-Ohio in the Corvette Corral for the ALMS race. I related my M1 Subaru experience to him, and he took my info and said he would have engineering get back to me. Still waiting, M1 guy! Amsoil I can call and talk to Tech if I really wanted to. I also can talk to many Corvette club racers who have thousands of track miles on Amsoil over on CF, and now of course, UB

Sold the Z06 the day before my Focus was delivered. I don't think I'll be experimenting with M1 again.
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D