Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - My Oil Change Interval Debate Rant
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #117
BiggerBoat
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85913
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 BiggerBoat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast View Post

Yes, Amsoil's OAI (Polaris labs) can do an in depth ppm particle count to see what's in the oil.
Thanks for the info and other info you have posted here. I will probably have that done a coupe times after 5 and 7000 mile runs since as I said, I am most concerned about contaminants. I don't run the car hard enough, often enough to break down the oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast View Post
In Amsoil's case, becoming a preferred customer gets you pricing that beats Wal Mart.

Example, Pennzoil Ultra is 100% hydrocracked petroleum. Sells for over $7.00 a quart.

OE is also 100% hydrocracked petroleum. PC's can buy it for $4.70 a quart.

You pay what it's actually worth. It's the big oil companies that are charging more for an inferior base stock.
Ok, here is where you are going Sneaky-Pete on me. If you are going to compare prices you have to do it realistically. You didn't include the cost of the preferred customer member ship in your pricing. Also, most everyone buys the 5 gallon jug at Wally World:

M1 for $26.48 = $5.30 /qt (no shipping and only .53 gas since WM is 2 miles from me)

M1 EP $28.97 = $5.79 /qt

Amsoil OE is $6.70 /qt at after adding the $10 membership (plus there is shipping)

Amsoil Signature - 5 qt =$50 +$10 membership -$10 discount = $10 /qt (not including shipping)

I 'am' convinced that the Amsoil is better but I'm only going to pay 'so much' more for it.