UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100738
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 UnleashedBeast Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumStick View Post
Did you just use "WalMart" and "reputable" in the same sentence?

I think my eyes are bleeding
As bad as my statement looks on screen, it's true. So many people have said, if it was sold at Wal Mart or auto parts stores, I'd take it more seriously. They seriously discredit Amsoil because it's sold through a MLM network, not retail in stores. There are retail accounts setup around the US and Canada, but you will rarely find it at big outlets.

Funny thing is, I can name so many snake oil engine products that are sold in retail stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerBoat View Post
What I do have a problem with is that it is not put out in to the market where competitive forces drive the price to something reasonable. Like, not 50-200% higher than similar products. While I certainly don't know their production cost, I suspect they are not double or triple. I could be wrong but the exclusive MLM marketing channel just has a very bad smell to it for me. So, I'm less likely to give them the benefit of the doubt. MonaVie is another example that comes to mind. $40 for a bottle of juice that you can get at Costco for $10.
In Amsoil's case, becoming a preferred customer gets you pricing that beats Wal Mart.

Example, Pennzoil Ultra is 100% hydrocracked petroleum. Sells for over $7.00 a quart.

OE is also 100% hydrocracked petroleum. PC's can buy it for $4.70 a quart.

You pay what it's actually worth. It's the big oil companies that are charging more for an inferior base stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerBoat View Post
On the original subject. Do the companies that do analysis give figures on the amount of contamination? I find it unlikely that there would be much viscosity breakdown in 3000 or even 5000 miles but I often wonder how much contamination (small abrasives) are in there. I get concerned when the color goes dark but that is not very scientific.
Yes, Amsoil's OAI (Polaris labs) can do an in depth ppm particle count to see what's in the oil.