During the winter of 2010/'11 I began collecting parts for converting the car to coilovers, but that's still an on-going process. It's far from a bolt-on, all-included kit for these cars.
Wanting to do more, I made a custom set of side diffusers to mount under the side skirts.
I also pulled out the vinyl again and covered the chrome beltline trim. Aside from the front emblem it was the only chrome on the entire car, so it was rather out of place.
Still in February 2011, I ordered some new lights. LEDs for the license plate lights, and yellow bulbs for the fog lights.
By March new shoes arrived.
I picked up OEM Grand Prix coupe Crosslaces. They measure in at 16x8 +25, while the stock wheels are 16x6.5 +38. With the help of a couple of friends, we completely stripped and repainted them matte black.
While still waiting to refinish the wheels though, I got some white vinyl from a friend to see how 'colour-matched' side reflectors would look. The vinyl is still on the car, so sooner or later I need to get around to making it permanent.
The side diffuser install finally started during an 'install day' some friends and I had at my house.
Throughout the year, the GP popped up from time to time on a local blog, as pictures of local meets were posted.
I used some black vinyl to highlight the license plate recess, and better tie in to the carbon fiber plate frame I had picked up.
As mentioned, the wheels then saw paint and new tires. I settled on quick-and-easy matte black as the car had a lot of black accents.
I also added some time-attack stripes as a final touch to the wheels, shortly after.
The 3.1 finally saw some attention, with some new dogbone mounts from MRZ. They only lasted the one season though, they're currently on a shelf in my garage.
With an invitation to a local year-end show and shine (September 2011) I detailed the GP and replaced the CF vinyl wrapped mirror with a colour-coded one.
It was just a couple of weeks after that I picked up the Focus, but not before the GP's odometer hit the 150K mark (kilometers, that is).
I swapped the wheels and dogbone mounts back to stock and hid the car away in storage in October.
We're almost up to date now.