Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - My Oil Change Interval Debate Rant
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #69
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98516
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv 6A Touring

FF Reputation: 1 revhigh Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast View Post
A case of Amsoil ASL 5W-20 Signature Series is $89.25 @ preferred Customer pricing.

The filters are $11.35 for the standard length filter and $13.15 for the long filter. I prefer the longer filter for increased capacity.

The membership cost is $10.00 for 6 months, $20.00 for the year.

Don't forget about tax, and shipping isn't an issue if he can pick up at his local distribution warehouse. No shipping charges for local pickup.

Quoted for 100% truth.

I hear all your points, believe me .... Wix filters cost me about $3 each, and M1 is $25 (5 quarts). As I said ... Amsoil makes great stuff .... always have and probably always will, it's just VERY expensive.

If I had an ST or another high performance engine or for that matter ANY diesel of turbocharged engine ... I'd use it. For my $16,000 Focus ... WIX or Mann and M1 is just fine.

As much as I always say I'm going to keep a car forever, I usually get bored with it or it needs some kind of major work at about the 150,000 mile mark. My last car was a 2005 Toyota Corolla with 165,000 miles on it. I used Toyota filters and M1 in it from day 1. When I changed the oil at 10,000 intervals it hadn't used a drop and looked only slightly darker than new.

The only reason I got rid of it was because it needed a $1200 catalytic converter, O2 sensors, and tires ... to the tune of almost $1800. In all those miles the only actual repair I ever did to it was one headlight bulb. I maintain the hell out of all my vehicles myself, and I honestly feel that the difference between M1 and a quality standard oil filter, and the Amsoil stuff is so negligible as to not even be worth talking about .... but that';s just me. If others want to use different materials that's fine, but for the normal driver, the regular stuff is just fine.

Good discussion !!

REV