Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - My Oil Change Interval Debate Rant
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #63
pozi240
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94835
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5 door SEL Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 4 pozi240 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCornell View Post
Oil that changes from its original happy golden color gets changed. 3k miles till I die, full synth too.
Good thing you don't drive a diesel then, since you would never get anywhere.... Brand new oil in a diesel engine is black within minutes of starting the engine. Ask someone who drives one. Color alone means "squat" when talking about oil quality. Only a lab analysis can determine when your oil is nearing the end of its serviceable life. Several manufacturers rate certain synthetic oils and filters with the "LL" designation (BMW, Mercedes, Audi's etc), which in most cases is above 10000 miles (as high as 18000 in some cases ). If you don't run a cartridge style media element, you may want to change your filter at least once during that extended interval, but, again, the lab can best advise you on that. (once you know how your oil/filter media and engine interact, then you know your intervals ).
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (street)
2008 Kawasaki ZX10R (track only)