Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumStick View Post
Matt, I agree with everything you said.

Now, having said that, I would like to share a little info. I don't subscribe to this policy, but it is in place (at least it was in 2003-2004).

Enterprise Rent-A-Car(ERAC) bought 6% of GM's yearly domestic output in the early 2000's, and a good sized chunk of Ford and Chrysler products as well. We're talking a corporate fleet of 600,000+ vehicles. Enterprise did not keep any vehicle outside of it's manufacturers warranty period, except for a few specialized cases. To keep the warranties valid, the cars had to go in for oil changes/service as recommended by the manufacturer. A 3000 mile OCI just wouldn't cut it. Each manufacturer specified to ERAC what the maximum OCI could be, and ERAC programmed that into their computer system for each make/model. Most US cars were in the 7Kmile range, I think the Cadillac's were 5K, and some of the imports had funky OCI's. I can't recall seeing a vehicle under 5K.

I know that was a business decision on ERAC's part, they basically cut the service costs in half. It is also one reason I would never buy a previous rental car. But, it does show what the OEM's allow to maintain a valid warranty. The 2004 Cadillac at my branch had it's engine replaced, under warranty, with less than 10K on the clock(they had to pull an engine off the assembly queue and ship it to CA). And renting a Caddy at ERAC is not the easiest thing to do. Special restrictions, high deposits, your own insurance must cover the rental, etc.

I personally change in the 3-5K range with Amsoil synthetics. The Focus will go 3k on it's first fill of dino, then another 3k or so on another fill of dino, then the rest of it's life on Amsoil.
You can take this for what's its worth, my focus was a hertz rental, I've owned the car for 7 years and 159,000mi oil still comes out clean EVERY TIME, never burns a drop either. I change every 5 to 7k I've let it go more before and never had an issue.
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums

Advocare 24 Day Challenge!