Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - My Oil Change Interval Debate Rant
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #22
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 23,825, Level 94
Points: 23,825, Level: 94 Points: 23,825, Level: 94 Points: 23,825, Level: 94
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I don't disagree with your schedule at all as one can never be too safe. I will post my schedule just for fun and to include my opinion.

I have an initial oil change done between 500-1000 miles. Typically, though, with a hard break-in you are supposed to do it within the first 50. I just have difficulty believing that anything is getting past the filter within that time period.

I use OEM oil/filter for the first 10k miles, getting my second oil change done at 5k (just yesterday!).

At 10k I switch to Mobil One full synthetic with OEM filter and switch to 10k oil changes. That being said, I do replace the filter halfway through and top off with fresh oil.

At 15k intervals (and that's over-doing it imho), I run one bottle of Chevron w/Textron fuel system cleaner and at 30k I have my coolant flushed. Air filter is changed ASAP to K&N drop-in and plugs usually go to a split-tip (though this time I'm going to do some testing with iridium). Filter cleanings occur at 30k while plugs get checked at 15k for gap and color.

If this vehicle had a wet sump auto and/or were a rear-wheel drive, I would replace the trans and diff fluids with Royal Purple at 15k and run them for 30k.

I have never had a problem running this set-up, though I have to also be honest and say that I usually don't keep vehicles very long either. My Ranger, which was traded in on this Focus, ran like a top (though they usually do and are semi-indestructible) and was the longest I've kept a vehicle (7 yrs, almost 60k).

This is what works for me, as it gives me a longer service life on my fluids yet maintains a simple math formula that is easy to remember.
2014 FiST-