Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Suspension fix - no more front end clunk
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #29
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

Points 4,158, Level 41
Points: 4,158, Level: 41 Points: 4,158, Level: 41 Points: 4,158, Level: 41
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmazda3 View Post
I agree. In the long run... there really isn't that much difference in cost between this replacement and 4 leaking front struts from Ford. There's a reason why they are so cheap.

I am running a 32mm rear bar in addition to stiffer rear springs that are progressive in nature. I wanted more compression damping than the Koni had do offer, and more consistency in damping force throughout the damper range of motion. There is alot of spring equivalent back there with the focus motion ratio and it needs a damper with a lot of compression and rebound force. (B8 >>> Koni in that respect).

No holes were cut. I set the rebound damping to "half" (1.25 out of 2.5 turns) and may bring that down to 1 turn depending on testing and the current alignment. I believe the chassis is still erring on the side of understeer, but without much more spring rate, I dont know how I could possibly reduce this. Keep in mind, this is at the extreme limit when the car is going in WAY hot.

Thank you. Part of the clunk was strut bearings, part was the broken strut. It was clear that the strut would clunk at the end of its stroke.

See above. Both the strut and the bearing caused the problem IMO.

On the understear issue .. you could try running a bit more negative camber up front. It will tend to increase wear on the inside, but it should improve understear...

Brian