So to keep it short and sweet, there was no way in hell I was getting anywhere with Ford, so I took matters into my own hands and fixed the damned clunk once and for all.
The broken parts include 2 front struts that were puddling oil around the front seals
as well as a very broken strut bearing on the right side.
After working on a few C1 chassis cars, I started to research suspension fixes and ended up with the following parts...
in addition, 2 new motorcraft strut bearings - part number AD-1094 and 2 strut pinch bolts for the front. You will not need 2 new strut nuts, as the Koni struts come with them.
front struts from a mazdaspeed 3 2010+
front springs are eibach pro kit for a 2012 focus
and in case anyone was wondering what the original application was for these parts, and what they look like put together...
The front struts required modification to the pinch bolt bracket (cutting) as pictured below-
The brake line bracket does not bolt up, but does require securing, using zipties and safety wire
and all put together...
I went with Bilstein B8 shocks in the rear for a 2008 volvo v50 wagon, which has a firmer bounddamping than the HD or Koni yellow, as well as offering the benefit of a high pressure gas charge (more stable when loaded down).
These bolted right in, no modification necessary.
Overall the ride is great, feels good to be a pioneer, the clunking is gone, and the ride is much better than before.
As it sits... "lowered"