Originally Posted by wantz12
Were you the one that PM'd K&N about the heat shield issue? Someone did and K&N sent them a fixed shield. Either way, Steeda's design seems much more planted to the shield, and that should result in much less flex. O well, live and learn. It's still a great piece of hardware.
Yes, Troy sent me a new shield and it was exactly the same as the original. Evidently the error was not due to manufacturing, but rather to design. Troy is aware of the issue and is supposed to be working with the engineers.
In the meantime, let me show you what I did to fix the problem. Everything fits together perfectly after these mods, and there should be no stress to the MAF housing from contact with the shield, as it is now "suspended" in the hole by the rubber mounts.
First, I used a rat-tail file to extend this hole (shown in red) so that I could center the MAF housing better in the hole so there is no contact:
Second, I bought a couple of thick nylon washers at the hardware store to space the edge of the MAF sensor back away further from the heat shield. One of the two nylon washers can be seen in the pic below between the shield and the rubber mount. The washer is about 1/8" thick.
If you perform these easy mods and don't overtighten your filter to the MAF flange, I don't believe you will have to worry about any future damage.