Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - TSB 12B37 - New?
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #404
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjl2012 View Post
all i can say is just keep driving it it has good days bad days but overall it dose work in deed. you want the good mpg dont worry about clicking shutter just drive it if you get it on a good day its a butt kicken 4 banger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotoad View Post
Again, "adaptive learning" usually doesn't mean learning the driver's habits, except for some high end cars like BMWs and Cadillacs. It means learning the transmission shift and clutch thresholds, and the DCT in the Focus DEFINITELY does this:

"NOTE: PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
The press release I provided the link to specifically says it "recognizes individual styles of driving (e.g., aggressive vs. Relaxed) and adapts transmission shift parameters accordingly..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
If this is real, then the ones complaining about the DCT becoming worse in time, should look more into their own driving style and not the DCT. Because as presented in the article you mention, the DCT has a predifined baseline then changes /'learns' as the driver uses it in trafic. So, if it runs worse than at the begining, it is because of the driving style the driver uses. And this is something really bad if the DCT acts like this, if you want my opinion. Because it implies that two persons who drive the same car, one Agressive and one Relaxed, will never be happy with it. I don't think Ford is THAT out of touch with the reality.
But again, as far as I know, there is no need to do an adaptive learning after this FAS. And this point I was discussing about...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Dealer service departments sure think it has adaptive learning. I was told when it was new and after 12B37 that a 1,000 mile "learning" period should be expected. One would think they would know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
ATC applies to "conventional" automatics. For example, this is from a 2010 Mustang owner's manual:

This vehicle is equipped with an Adaptive Transmission Control Strategy.
This Adaptive Transmission Control Strategy offers the optimal transmission operation and shift quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
I did, but nothing linking without a doubt the Focus 2012 DCT to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
I know. But there's nothing that says it isn't. I personally don't know either way, just putting it out there.

Neomi or Thomas, can you find out for us from Ford engineering???
Hey all -

I'm on it! The 2012 Focus does feature an adaptive learning process. It makes the transmission "customizable" to individual vehicles for better performance as well as fuel economy.

I hope this helps just a bit. I'll try to see if I can find a link in the coming days.

Later,

Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford