View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012, 02:08 AM   #40
djwrg04
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78546
What I Drive: 2000 sangria SE 4door

FF Reputation: 3 djwrg04 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My car is a 2000 SE sedan and my old SPI went back in December of 11, it had more than enough miles on it and for most of its life it had been hot-rodded around as a "hot 4-banger" by my dad when he bought it brand new back in 2000. I got it back in 09 and I abused the hell out of that poor old SPI until it finally died because it overheated and thus the head warped and the seat dropped out.
In the old engine I had an high lift e-f-p cam, mercury tracer intake(only for a very short time...), high-rpm dual valve springs from e-f-p, and a spec stage 1 clutch. That old engine was a rocket (in terms of split-port engines that is).

After it dropped, I didn't have the time to do an engine swap so I just said to hell with it and bought a re-designed SPI with all the flaws fixed and completely new. From the manufacturer I went ahead and bought the longest warranty my dad/me could get for it which was a 5 year 160k mile on top of the regular 2 year warranty.

I dealt with the issue and moved on with life. Of course, I was major pissed at the old engine going south, but it lived way longer than we had expected all while knowing since 2005 what the fate of the engine would be and still abusing the heck out of it.
If my dad had known at the time he bought it that the SPI (with as good a maintenence we kept on it) would eventually fail well before a zetec then he would have put up the extra cash to buy the zetec version but sadly nobody knew back then.

--not to thread Jack but I'm pretty proud of my SPI Focus since I'm stuck with it! ^-^

^^ Thats the new engine in it while it got dyno'ed at McNews at FR12. It made 89.5 HP and 110 tq. @ 5800 rpm.

Sent from my DROID X2 using FF Mobile
Sedan Revolution #231 || FocusXtreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbridledCarnage View Post
im not paying 124 a night. period. lol bring a gun and bunker down!