Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - 2001 Ford Focus SE Zetec DOHC Idle Rough, Erratic, & Stumbles
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
ztsmith86
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100308
What I Drive: 2001 Ford Focus SE Toreador Red

FF Reputation: 1 ztsmith86 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2001 Ford Focus SE Zetec DOHC Idle Rough, Erratic, & Stumbles

I currently own a 2001 Focus SE with a Zetec motor. The vehicle has a rough idle right now. The engine can be cold or warm the issue does not change. Withe the motor running in park the idle is a little rough. If you put the car in drive or reverse and hold the brake the issue becomes worse. Once in drive or reverse while holding the brake the engine shakes, idles becomes rougher, and stumbles, but never dies. I have watched the idle carefully and it seems to stay around 700 - 800 RPM in all these circumstances. The car runs very smooth while driving. There are no issues while driving, no shaking, no odds noises, just smooth sailing. I have no check engine lights and scan the vehicle every few days, but there are no codes or dtc being thrown. Engine temperature is normal and there are no fan issues. I also have no vacuum, oil, transmission, or coolant leaks. I have within the last month replaced all the following items:
  • Thermostat Housing, Thermostat, Thermostat Hosing, Upper Radiator Hose
    DFPE Valve, EGR Selnoid .... I checked the EGR Valve and it is working
    I have replaced PCV Valve & Hose
    I've Replaced all Vacuum Hoses, Removed/Clean Intake Manifold, Cleaned Throttle Body, Cleaned IACV, Cleaned Throttle Position Sensor, Cleaned MAF Sensor, Replaced Air Filter, Replaced PCV Filter in airbox
    I've done a Transmission Filter/Fluid Change, Oil Change, & Coolant Flush
    I've replace the Fuel Filter and checked fuel pressure after the regulator.
    I've check the spark plug wires, installed new OEM spark plugs, and installed new coil pack.
    I clean ever engine bay connecter with electrical connector fluid, blow dry with compressed air, and lubed with dielectric grease.
    I replaced the valve cover gasket, did a seam foam treatment, and fuel fuel injector cleaner in my last tank of gas.
    I've also power washed my underside of my engine to degrease it and there doesn't seem to be any leaks anywhere.
    I know this isn't and engine mount problem, so let's not go down that road.
    I removed, cleaned, and reinstalled both my O2 sensors.
    I did a compression check on all cylinders and compression is within spec on all cylinders.
    My voltage is within spec range in all RPM range.
    I sprayed either around my intake manifold to ensure I did not miss a leak and there are none.
    No fuses are burnt out and no relays or switches that I am aware of.
    The accessory belt visually looks to be in good condition and I inspected the timing belt and it visually looks to be in good condition.
    I know for sure there has never been any major engine repair done to this vehicle. My parents were the original owners.
    The struts, shocks, & tires are less than 1 year old.

Please help me with this issue so I don't make the news for blowing this car up with a nuclear bomb ... lol sorry dark humor. The car has 179,000 miles, but is in prefect order in all other areas except this idle issue. It shifts very smooth and WOT is very good. I don't feel a lack in power either, but I did notice some small improvements all around after doing this maintenance/cleaning. The idle issue while in drive at a stop light holding the brake makes the whole engine/car shake moderately (enough to know there is an issue). Thanks for any help!