Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - I must be getting old... :-) DIY 2012 intake modification
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #48
TORQUERULES
The Professor

Fan#: 1083
What I Drive: '13 Mazdaspeed 3; '87 'Stang

FF Reputation: 9 TORQUERULES Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Thumbs up

I was thinking of something similar in the same area (kind of behind the headlight between the radiator support nod headlight housing) you are talking about, but putting my hole on the side of he bottom half of the air box. I might try that with a snorkel running in that free air area behind the headlight...

Then I would have 3 sources of cool air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfocus View Post
I already had a K&N drop in filter. Here's what I did:

I ordered a new air box lid, part # BV6Z9661A from FordParts.com for $5.52 + tax and picked it up at my local ford dealer.

I bored a 3" hole with a hole saw on the drivers side front facing the rear of the grill and radiator support where they meet with the hood and fender. There are gaps that line up with the hole I cut and it appears to allow airflow from outside.

I provided a further heat barrier by installing a diagonal swath of foam insulation strips with adhesive on 1 side between the hole and the engine side ($8.36). It seals against the hood, verified by slight impressions in the underhood insulation.

At low speed it's barely noticeable. When you get on it sounds good/louder but not ridiculous. The seat of the pants dyno indicates a throttle response improvement.

This is a variation on removing the whole lid but you don't get that ridiculous, loud boggy sound and you have a heat shield. I kept the original lid in tact for dealer visits & inspections. Even if you don't follow my design you can experiment with your own for $5.52.

Sorry, no photo but I'm a techno moron.