Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #1252
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allyy View Post
If I was not satisfied with the car I would either have never bought one in the first place, or tried to sell it as soon as possible

What does not beinging satisfied with the car i would never have bought it in the first place mean. Dont you have to buy the car first. Its not the same car i bought in the first place anyway . Ford has changed the program twice already . Get with it before you reply to my post or better yet get lost.You have nothing better to do with your life than argue with people. GLTY
You don't have to buy a car prior to deciding if its possible that you can live with that particular type of car over its competitive set. Having driven several of the competition during the decision phase the results always pointed to the Focus as being the car I most wanted to drive time and again. It's plain to see that in your case at least the software updates haven't helped your perception of the car. If the earlier update was really more to your taste then fine. However its been reported that the shift points have not really moved, just people's perception of them has. Your mileage may vary both in terms of fuel economy, but also performance and driving experience.

The hardware that makes up your car is no different from when you initially bought it, so to say it was a completely different car now is kind of silly, that's like saying I bought a computer with windows or mac software on it, but as soon as a software update comes out its a whole new computer and not the same one you initially bought.

I did not intend to argue, but to point out that not everyone has had the same negative experiences that you have. The latest update seems to have made the car more responsive for most people. There may be a few cases in which this is not the case, but this may either again be due to a poor dealer service department not properly performing the update, customer expectations not being met, or any other factors you can imagine.

I understand that the clutch chatter issue in some of the earlier software would be a real mechanical issue if allowed to continue. That being said however if the software updates have improved the function of the mechatronics used to control the automated manual's ability to emulate a torque converter based planetary gearset automatic they would be sacrificing the performance and fuel economy advantage of the dry dual clutch system over a normal automatic for the sake of customer satisfaction.

With varying drivers comes different expectations. I think that at least in part the problems that people have with the car were genuinely having issues. However a certain subset of these reported issues seem to stem more from customer expectations. If you drove a manual and were in the highest gear trying to maintain the minimum rpm for the power required to travel at a certain speed you would also need to change down a gear or more in order to accelerate more rapidly. The DCT might act similarly in the name of fuel economy if you're using only light throttle applications. If you're taking your foot on and off the gas constantly at light throttle applications and getting it to shift all the time that may have more to do with your driving environment than the car itself.

Ford did have a perception problem in that they were allowing the dealers to paint the gearbox as being a normal automatic and saying that it should be driven as such. It is automated, but at least when setting off you do need to be aware that it is not a regular automatic, particularly in heavy stop and go traffic. If the first gear clutch is constantly allowed to go through the initial slip of pulling the car forward a few feet while waiting at a traffic light or in heavy stop and go traffic there is a risk of damage due to over heating and extreme wear, where as the torque converter will allow for some constant slippage and forward torque to be applied through a fluid medium rather than directly across a friction disk.

I try not to make blanket statements about the transmission or indeed anything about the car. My personal experiences have been great, but not everyone is so fortunate. I'm personally glad I didn't order MFT as I don't think I would enjoy having a system that only half works, but that would be just a software re-write away from being a good system.

I should get lost on the basis that I'm trying to help others and present facts and figures rather than a load of hysteria? No thank you.