Focus Addict

Fan#: 62667
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport Hatch - Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 4 r1derbike Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfioretti View Post
Hey...

I bought a Focus when they were just released last April. I have been struggling with the transmission issues every day. I have had it in twice to the dealership and was told that it is working as designed and is simply the way the dual clutch shifts.

In particular, I notice the shuddering when I accelerate slowly and right after it shifts to 3rd gear. It almost seems that it shifts too early and the rpm's drop causing the shudder. I can avoid the shudder if I accelerate faster when the car is in 2nd gear.

Anyway, I have had all the software updates installed and that didn't fix the issue. I am tempted to take it in and force them to replace the clutch or rebuild the tranny.

The other noise that is distracting is coming from the AC. It seems that when I have the AC engaged, there is a wheezing / subtle whistling noise. This noise goes away when I turn off the AC (and just have the fan running). So it is something with the AC compressor I suppose. This might just be 'Normal' for these cars too... Does anyone else hear this noise while running the AC?
Try accelerating hard several times through the gears, if you have passed your break-in mileage. If the clutch for gears 1, 3, and 5 isn't broken-in, this may be the issue, although you would feel the shudder to a lesser degree (or more?) in 5th gear as well, if the clutch is damaged.

Again, if your mileage exceeds the break-in, accelerate it hard through the gears (4 to 5 times, should do it) to see if the clutch is just not broken-in. If the car is never driven briskly, this may have happened.

Good luck!