Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #1244
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizeGuyDezignz View Post
Guys, so I got my car about a month ago. On Etis it shows nothing outstanding that needs to be done to my car, but I've always been skeptical about this update.

Today, I just so happened to be stuck on a hill waiting for a trash truck to pull in somewhere. So to test stuff out, I took my foot off the gas and my car rolled backwards until I pressed on the brake. Didn't the new FSA take care of that?
First of all it needs to detect that you were on a hill.

Prior to it being engaged you needed to press the brake and hold the brake pedal down. It does not work just based on taking your foot off the gas until the car stops and then starts to roll backwards as all you proved there was that you can get it to go into neutral.

If you don't start out with your foot on the brake hard enough, or long enough for the sensors to detect that the car is on an incline the system is inactive. Hill start assist only engages the brakes for 2-3 seconds to give you enough time to get your foot off of the brake pedal and onto the gas pedal.

If you never had your foot on the brake then the system was not active.

Even if the system was active but you did not put your foot on the gas after letting off of the brake for greater than the time it would take even some one with a really slow reaction time (2-3 seconds to move your foot sideways less than 2 feet) then yes it can and will roll back if there is not sufficient drive torque from the slipping clutch as it creeps forward on its own trying to mimic a torque converter auto.