Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2012 owners Post your MPG's
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #995
shudder
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97667
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 shudder Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Wow, I've only read a few pages of this lengthy thread, but that's more than enough to understand that my MPG sucks! That's no bueno.

My #1 main reason for purchasing this car on 3/18/12 was because of the marketed high MPG, but I have not seen that. I'm not even close to what many folks here see.

Starting on 4/9/12, after a few weeks and about 900 miles or so of less than stellar MPG in my 2012 Focus Titanium, I started up a google spreadsheet and tallied my numbers from every fill up. Here's my overall:

-- 12 tanks of gas since 4/9 (one tank was premium -- I averaged 27.75 MPG for that one...)
-- 126.27 gallons purchased, averaging 10.52 gallons per fill up
-- 3,540.1 miles driven (car is now at 4,600+ miles)
-- 28.946 MPG per OSD
-- 28.06 ACTUAL MPG per my calculations using the numbers above

Therefore car is about .9 MPG off, and at just 28 MPG I am getting very low mileage.

I work five days a week and my commute is 25.3 miles each direction. 99% of my drive is freeway, though I do tend to get caught up in drive time traffic a lot of the time (this is L.A. after all...). I do a bit of tooling around on the weekends, plus some city driving. I have been trying to be extremely sensitive to driving with a lead foot during this period, as I want to eek out every single mile I can. To that point, I live on a very steep hill, and while I watch the MPG plunge as I roll up to my house at night, I also roll down the first half mile from my house in neutral each morning. When I come to my first stop sign, only then do I slip the DCT into drive. Doesn't seem to matter: my numbers still suck.

Anyone care to comment?

Should I take this up with my dealership in some intelligent way?

Thanks in advance for any constructive comments you might have.

- shud