Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 11:47 AM   #1241
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabs_Weather View Post
New update needs to adapt more to your driving habits. How do you drive. I keep hearing people shifting around 1500-2000, hypermiling and 6th gear below 40mph. Would you guys drive a stick like this.

I think with the variety of issues after the update it has to be the driver. My car is in the shop getting the update. I will have to provide my feed back tonight.
With my 1.6L Prizm and 5 speed manual I would shift below 2000 rpm in town as that was how I was tought to drive by my father, and if you don't need all the power that accelerating harder would provide why waste fuel getting the car up to speed only to have to stop again. Now I had put over 44,000 miles on that car in 3 years and only really had to take care of maintanance and the timing belt at least mechanically. Never had to change a clutch, even though I did occasionally wind it out, and getting on the freeway meant winding it up to at least 3000 rpm before shifting or it would have no torque available to merge.

Now having said that in the Focus with the DCT I don't always try to keep to a minimum pressure on the throttle, prefering to give it the chance to rev up more regularly, and the only oddities have been more so due to traffic conditions than the gearbox itself. It will bang home perfect redline shifts every single time, something that would be harder with a manual unless you had more experience. Since traffic can be quite mad sometimes you have to go quickly from crawling behind a stupid bus/ van going maddenly slow up the on ramp to slam on the brakes then the gas because there was a car in the right hand lane going slowly but occupying the same space at almost the same time as you were supposed to, then flooring it to avoid a pickup truck behind that car. The car jumps down a gear or 3 it feels like instantly then winds up to 4-5k in search of more torque.