Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2012 owners Post your MPG's
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #976
Pretherius
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97062
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sedan 5-Spd Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 Pretherius Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I don't believe C&D's numbers here for a second. They're either lying, were supplied with a modified car or two, or got a bad Focus.

I just came back from a 1700-mile road trip with my 5-speed, which had under 3,000 miles on it when I left home.

The 5-speed has a shorter top gear than the DCT, and I still pulled out 37-39 mpg consistently over 5 fill-ups, with an average in the 38's. The trip was roughly 75% freeway miles, and I did my best to keep the cruise set at 73, including through southern and central Vermont where there are some -significant- mountains requiring serious throttle to climb and where you don't get all that fuel back because coasting down the other side would have you going 90 mph.

So I find it hard to swallow that the automatic Focus isn't getting at least 39 at semi-reasonable speeds on the highway.

And I'm sorry, but I don't believe for a second that that Mazda actually gets 45 MPG highway. I've also read (anecdotally I admit) that the Hyundai's aren't living up to their ratings.