Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - My Ford Touch Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #1831
nhemti
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96686
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium - TMB

FF Reputation: 1 nhemti Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyNYC View Post
>>> I know plenty of 23 year old recent software engineering grads who could write a much more stable and efficient system.

As do I. I am a Professor at Columbia University in New York City and see some of the finest and brightest in the world. My last computer project was done at M.I.T. and I delivered the keynote address with Bill Gates at the Cow Palace in San Francisco. I've seen the best of the best.

>>>It isn't fair to slight the younger folks in computer science and technology just because they are young.

That is an accurate statement . . .and never would I do so. It's a statement meant to convey the apparent lack of real world experience that is apparent in the design of the MFT system.

While intellectual firepower can be taught . . . experience in the design of visual assimilation systems, like aircraft panels, is greatly enhanced through experience . . the simple accumulation of time and plenty of screw ups (like the current iteration of the MFT) under your belt.

I am also hiring 600 new engineers over the next year for a company that will be going public and I am seeing some incredibly talented young engineers.

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm glad for you. Your statement still came across as slighting the younger crowd just for being young.

I think MFT shows signs of poor programming and a rushed product with piss poor project management. There is a reason the game design world hires people who have a single job of designing a UI and others who handle game mechanics. The problem with MFT is that the people who should be designing mechanics were designing a UI.

Alas, we are still stuck with what we have and will have to wait for Ford to fix it. That or you could have your best and brightest play with an APIM for a semester and see what they can pull off, I am sure it would only be an improvement. (That isn't sarcasm.)

FYI, I was simply interpreting a statement you made and you have clarified that your intention was to imply that a lack of experience was an issue, not young engineers just sucking. Simply clarifying that and not being a snob about it would have been sufficient.