darkbuddha
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99367
What I Drive: '89 XR4RS, '70 Mach 1, '13 ST

FF Reputation: 1 darkbuddha Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgonyer View Post
True, but the SVT was no different and look at it's numbers.
I don't think it's a good comparison, the SVT and the ST, for lots of reasons. For example, the ST branding has a well established history and following worldwide (okay, in the UK, Europe, and South America). Second, it's been 10 years since the SVT Focus, and the world is a different place in terms of global thinking and information access, especially among enthusiasts. Third, Ford learned quite a bit from the SVT Focus (and Contour) projects... Ford now requires that every car it sells be profitable and only proceeds when it has either the research to support it or they have built a market for it. I think they've got both going on for the ST now. And last, one word: turbo. Seriously, it's completely ridiculous that it's true still, but the word "turbo" still has cache among buyers (as if any car with a turbo is a performance car).

Actually, one last thing, the market for the ST already exists in earnest and is filled with competitors that sell plenty of cars. Ford's just gotta get their share.

8500, 12000, it doesn't matter. Production is only limited by demand, which means artificial dealer inflation of the price will not be terribly successful with anyone that's properly informed. And I'll admit that I'm doing my darnedest to make people aware that anyone can become X plan eligible rather easily (without knowing a Ford employee or being a shareholder), so I can't imagine prices staying inflated.