Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Daytime running lights (DRL)
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #88
Altis
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89540
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SEL Hatch 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 Altis Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang74shelby View Post
My biggest problem with them is soo many manufacturers put them in the High Beam Headlight and they like to BLIND the F'k out of people. I don't mind the new LED ones, those I am for, but putting them in the Headlights is just asinine. I do like how the tech is going all LED. As for the Huge SUV comment. There are LOADS of them with DRL's in the headlights. Motorcycles with headlights on, there is def a reason for that, I do ride and people just don't pay attn to the road. I just can't stand the low/high continuous flashing M/C lights.
Flashing running lights are a pretty bad idea, even for motorcycles.. much better off wearing a high visibility vest. One of the guys I used to ride with had a strobing tail light... it drove me mental!

As for the running lights being the high beams, it actually makes more sense... they run the high beams at a much lower power (say, around 30%)... not only does this use less power than the low beams at/near full power, but they are pointed up and ahead, so they are more noticeable even at the low power.

Another thing is that many cars have gauges that light up inside even with the headlights off... when the low beams are used for running lights, people don't realize that the corner lights and tail lights aren't on at night time.