TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylesvt720 View Post
I took the facts we have. One SAE certified crank horsepower number for all 2012 foci, and several stock wheel horsepower numbers.

Assuming the motor makes the SAE certified numbers, isn't a poor assumption I don't believe. At the very least its a conservative one.
What I'm saying is that your assumption of that SAE certified crank horsepower, as it relates to FocusBoy58's engine is as accurate as his assumption of parasitic loss. Those two assumed factors make both of your calculations equally accurate.

You believe using the SAE certified number isn't a poor assumption, and that's fair. It is an estimate of what HP his engine is outputting at the crank. Historically, parasitic loss with a FWD car & manual transaxle (which is what the DCT is) is 12-15% (and nowhere near 7.5%). From an engineering perspective, 12%-15% also is not a poor assumption. It is an estimate.

So, each of you took an estimated value and used those values in conjunction with the only factual number you had, and made a crank HP estimate.

I agree with you that we can only arrive at an accurate crank HP value with an engine dyno. What I'm trying to understand is, if that was your point all along (as you stated) why did you bother countering FocusBoy58's estimated values with your own estimated values? Was is just to show that you can both make inaccurate calculations?
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.