Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Going to be the Borla 140400 guinea pig
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012, 08:21 PM   #27
greg hazlett
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93486
What I Drive: 2012 Black Ford Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 greg hazlett Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Thanks to Paul-Brabs Weather-who wanted to see the contents which led to the pulling everything out which led to how long could this really take which led to the Focus being on jack stands and tools coming out....the Borla is on! Took an hour and that was with figuring out what size sockets and wrenches to use.

I will get pics up asap but some info:

Borla piece with the muffler/tips: 12 lbs
Stock lunch box muffler: 15 lbs
Stock pipe with 1st muffler: 8 lbs
Stock pipe with resonator: 5 lbs

I need to call Borla and have them update the instructions as they have you cut the pipe that connects the Catylitic converter to the exhaust piping and that is not required; you unbolt the stock pipe using a 15mm socket or wrench. We thought if we jacked the car up high enough we could get away with one cut on the stock exhaust but no avail; made one cut by the lunch box muffler, tried to wiggle it out with no luck, made another cut by the 1st muffler and out the stock exhaust came.

Install was easy, followed the directions, started from the rear with tightening all the clamps, started the car to listen for leaks, all was good, let the car down off the jacks and off for a test drive.

We started with all the windows down and the only change I could hear was from approx 1k-3k there was more of a growl but after that no louder than stock; put the windows up and listented for droan and there was none at all.

Paul says the car feels like it pulls harder, I will have to see when driving it to/from work.

All in all I like it so far, I will report back when I have more seat time with it.

Pics to follow!