Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Which car manufacturer do you hate most?
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012, 03:45 PM   #10
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95211
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Lscman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdamay View Post
..........So, I went and checked the window sticker for that fleet '06 Grand Caravan C/V -- $22,010. NO, I don't necessarily know that my company actually paid sticker for it, but I sincerely doubt they paid $4,000 - $5,000 less as you suggest the vans were selling for. ..........
Mfr Incentive (rebate) programs were huge back in 2006, especially at Chrysler/Dodge. Incentives were generally bundled to total $3K or more. Domestic mfrs were all selling their vehicles for under invoice back then, minus all incentives. A cargo van that year had an invoice under $19K. A grandma unwilling to haggle could have bought that van for $16K. I priced out a brand new 2005 Grand Caravan with the revolutionary stow-and-go setup, but instead chose to buy a 4 year old 2001 van with 60K mi for $11K. I regret that decision today because it is wearing out and rusting today at 200K mi. The GC was in high demand in 2005 with the new seating feature, but out-the-door pricing was far less than you think. The deal I turned down on a 2005 was around $5800 off sticker (MSRP). That was under invoice with all incentives. Who bought a car based upon sticker in those days?

Times have changed. Today's MSRP (window sticker) is similar to 2006, but you get fewer incentives now and it's a little more difficult to buy for invoice. Plus the vehicles have more stuff standard and the motor has 280+HP. Today's domestc pricing strategy is more similar to imports.

Last edited by Lscman; 06-02-2012 at 12:26 PM.