Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Ford Focus ST vs WRX vs GTi vs Volvo C30 vs Civic SI vs Veloster Turbo vs Mazdaspeed 3
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
MacAttack
Focus Addict

Fan#: 79365
What I Drive: 2000 Dark Green SE

FF Reputation: 5 MacAttack Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXthrizzle05 View Post
id have to agree. for price range and horsepower
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedComet View Post
+1. I'll take an all-wheel drive car with a mechanical limited slip diff all day over FWD cars, at that price. I'm surprised to see the absence of the GT-86 on this chart too, given the random inclusion of the Civic Si, which is...kind of a different car compared to the rest, being a two-door coupe.
Did you look at the chart?
Sure, it has 12 more HP, but only for a short bit. Torque's lower than the ST, and it only hits that max torque number, 26 lbft lower than the ST, for a short time. Meanwhile, the ST has 270 torque available from 2000 rpms up to 5000. More torque and more power most of the time.
HP sells cars, torque wins races.
Also, the Focus Titanium gas a better skid pad rating (although I didn't list it on the chart) than the WRX. The ST will be even better than that!
That limited slip diff on the WRX is useless in the corners. It's a center diff. All it does is vary the power between the front and back, which is great for bad weather, but useless in the corners.
Plus, torque vectoring control IS electronic. It's also, in many ways, better than a traditional limited slip diff. By actually braking the inside wheel and applying power outside, it can "twist" the car more.

Anyway, the Subaru/Toyota/Scion will make it to the list eventually. I've been adding a car or two per day.