Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Which car manufacturer do you hate most?
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #162
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95211
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Lscman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdamay View Post
.......Also, find me a fleet/rental van new on the lot for less than $20,000. I'd like to see that. The van my company bought brand new 6 years ago cost considerably more than that.
Why do you need a breakdown of what percentage of Dodge Caravans came with 3.3 vs 3.8? They thoughtfully equipped lot stock based upon consumer demand. There were plenty of folks still choosing the available base 4 cylinder for Caravan duty thru Y2K, so wanna talk slow? Penny pinching people bought the cheapest motor possible and they need to embrace it's slowness. People who want power and fancy options need to fork out the coin to buy loaded vans with optional motors. In case you're not aware, there is another van called Town and Country with a Chrysler tag stuck on it. They sell heavily and most were loaded up with 3.8 or 4l motor. Dodge sold more 3.3's and Chrysler sold more 3.8's and 4L. There was no shortage of 3.8's thru Dodge if that's what you're suggesting. A dealer could locate you a 4L in a day. Why bother when the Chrysler was almost the same price when loaded up.

I don't want to hear folks whine about base motors with inadequate power. I guess you would also complain about a 1964 Ford Galaxie with 240 cube 1bbl 6cyl fleet motor, bought by the military, utilities and for basic business motorpool use? At time they also offered half dozen other motor combos including a crossbolt 427 8bbl option that would fry tires.

Did this fleet caravan you drove have a friggin' hydraulic bucket mounted on the roof for trimming trees? Maybe it was a Handicap version? What the heck drove it's cost above $20K? I turned down a deal for a 100% new 2008 Grand Caravan with 3.3L that was being offered for $16K. These came with cruise control, antilocks, 4 wheel discs, radio with CD, alum 16" wheels, power window and locks and other desired features. Totally loaded 2008 versions with 3.8L 6spd and DVD cost $21K at that time and another $2K got you NAV with DVD's and PC screens hanging from the roof. The vans of that era pushing over $25K had optional interiors with leather etc.

Full MSRP TODAY is about $21K for a new 2012 Grand Caravan 32valve 6spd with 4 wheel disc brakes, full stow-and-go package and all the standard goodies. Do you pay sticker for domestic cars? Large dealerships are selling these without haggling for around $18.5K out the door. About 6 yrs ago, the base model Grand Caravan was selling for $16K and the shorter Caravan was even less.

Do I need to show you how to buy a new vehicle? What fleet manager in his right mind would pay over full MSRP for a vehicle??????????????????? They get better pricing than any consumer so they should see at least $5K off sticker. Today's 2012 Grand Caravan fleet version equipped similar to a base consumer version probably sells for around $18K, or less, if bought in quantity.