Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Painted Pinstripe remover????
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #20
lyonsroar

Fan#: 63166
What I Drive: 2009 Volkswagen GTI

FF Reputation: 31 lyonsroar Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzle_dizzle View Post
First of all, i told him not to put straight acetone onto his paint. So you're taking my comment about eating the paint off out of context. Im not saying that it would "eat the paint right away" all I'm saying is to get it off of the vehicle right away so it doesn't have a chance to start eating at the wax, clear coat, or anything like that... maybe instead of insulting me you can ask why i said that or clarify what i was talking about.
I didn't need to ask for clarification. You spelled it out just fine for me here:

Quote:
nail polish remover might work if you dilute it.... don't put it directly on there or it will immediately eat your paint off...
Neither acetone nor nail polish remover will "immediately eat your paint off" regardless of whether you dilute it or not. You'd have to leave it on there for some time to do any damage to OEM paint. OEM paint is tough as nails, it has to be being that it's outdoors all the time. You only really need to be overtly concerned with household solvents when you're dealing with a repainted panel as you can't be assured of the type of paint used. As long you're not soaking it for hours you'll be fine.

Please keep in mind I'm not trying to insult anyone, I am trying to avoid the misinformation that inevitably collects in any topic that has to do with detailing. Don't take it as a personal attack.

Quote:
most of the time clay bar is used for dried insect guts
This is false.

Clay bars are primarily used to remove "bonded contaminants." These are things that are bonded to the paint surface and don't come off with regular washing. This can include bugs, but generally it's pieces of industrial fallout, iron filings, road dust, brake dust, etc