Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Turbo Installation Advice?
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #41
amoosenamedhank
Focus Addict

Fan#: 96374
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch

Points 854, Level 15
Points: 854, Level: 15 Points: 854, Level: 15 Points: 854, Level: 15
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 amoosenamedhank Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sporadic View Post
This is not accurately stated. The CFM most certainly is dictated by the turbo, by both the turbine side and the compressor side.
A small turbine housing will restrict flow, and a small compressor will restrict flow.
There is too much over-simplification in your explanation and the original poster needs to do far more reading on their own rather than expect to get all the answers here by non-professionals, including myself.
Go to the Garrett website and read everything before accepting anything you read here as fact.

EDIT: I'll add that I recommend not buying a single piece of your turbo kit until you can read, understand, and plot points on a compressor map relative to your power goals.
If you don't want to do any of this, then just buy a pre-made kit from a company that has done all the research already.

Regardless of what you have for a turbo, your intake track and combustion chamber are not variables. Changing your turbo sizing will not change this. A larger turbo will reduce back pressure, this will result in better evacuation of the combustion chamber...therefor improving the VE of the engine.