Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - anyone using premium gas ?
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 11:22 PM   #157
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

Points 653, Level 13
Points: 653, Level: 13 Points: 653, Level: 13 Points: 653, Level: 13
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Well that's kinda the point here

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweisbard View Post
The main discussion here is an 87 octane engine being run on higher octane, and if ther would be an advantage. Like I said in my previous post, you cant trust 87 octane to be 87 octane. It could be 65. Known for a fact to be true at times. If you run poor quality fuel and switch to 93 you would probably notice a difference. They did not talk about at school the requirments of specific engines, just that if they are not knocking they dont need more octane. One thing that concerns me about this discussion is that everyone says that efi can adjust for knock from low octane, but at what cost. If timing must suffer for no knock then performance should too. But this is not even what the whole discussion has been about, it is extra octane, is there a benefit.

You're kind of flailing now. The engine has quite a high compression ratio and adjusts ignition timing and other variables according to the spark knock detection. High octane or premium gasoline will definitely allow it to adjust itself to run better than on regular gasoline. Whether it's worth it or not is another subject.