View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #19
minesweaper
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99342
What I Drive: 2008, Black, SE

FF Reputation: 1 minesweaper Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ok here you go, you have made up your mind but there are still some things to think of; college, ranger, duty stations ect. Now take all this you hear on the internet with a grain of salt. All the advise is great but make sure its up to date. If someone is not currently in then their info may be a bit off. Hell, I am an E6 at Fort Campbell and been in since June 2002. I am 11B4P85WF7 (all that means is 11B, SSG, Airborne, Instructor, Jump Master, Pathfinder) and my info may not be up to date enough.

Now all that say you cant do college while being 11B is wrong! I do it all the time. Do online school. Pick a major after you get to your duty station. I am working toward a BA in Homeland Security and Emergency Management. I spend about 5 hours a week doing school work and get A's and B's. Don't go strait to the bar after work. Take some time to do school work and then go. there is plenty of time. Now while deployed you can still do it. Deployments are easier and easier every year. You will have down time. And if for what ever reason you don't there is plenty of time between cycles, my classes are only 5 weeks long. College is free and your dumb not to start knocking it out asap. Look how many other 11B's get out with out it. You will have a leg up.

Now ranger, I never went but should have. I always here about people who had orders for it and never did it. Most were sick of all the BS that is basic. Might as well get it all done at once. Promotion is much easier and re-enlistment bonuses are much bigger with a ranger tab. Going to Ranger Batt sounds great, I don't have much experience with that. I have worked with them in the sand box and it was great.

Lastly, volunteer for schools. Every dumb school you can get. No matter what the more schools you have the more likely you will get promoted. Every thing from Field Sanitation to jump master makes you more marketable then the next guy.

Good luck and if you have any questions PM me your number and I will give ya a call.

Remember never quit. That's what they want you to do.