Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Which car manufacturer do you hate most?
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #159
azdamay
Titular Wit Here

Fan#: 27396
What I Drive: 2004 GTO, 1986 Civic Si, 2010 TC

FF Reputation: 8 azdamay Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lscman View Post
You say a base 3.3L 6 cyl motor with wide ratio 4 spd auto was slow? No kidding...

...An optional, torquey 3.8L motor was released for Dodge Caravan a whopping 11 years ago and it came with a crisply shifting 6 speed automatic. This isn't so recent...

...The big news for the new 32v motor is it comes standard without any price increase. Now strippo fleet drivers can burn rubber in vans costing under $20K lol...
Ok, to address your points. Of course the van was slow. I know that. But I'd like to see the breakout of how many Caravans came with the 3.3 vs. optional engines. I'd bet you most of them came with the 3.3 and not a more powerful engine. And those are pulling around more weight with all the seats, sound deadening, and passengers. So... slow, yes? Down on power, yes?

Your point that they have now made a more powerful engine standard across the line is what I was getting at in the previous post. Sure, they had an optional engine with more power previously, but now they finally got with the program and brought the Caravan into the 21st century.

Also, find me a fleet/rental van new on the lot for less than $20,000. I'd like to see that. The van my company bought brand new 6 years ago cost considerably more than that.