Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
I'll give you my professional opinion as a technician, a 15 year Ford tuning and engine building veteran, and as someone who has spent immense amounts of time on the subject of oil (thank the GT500 world for that).

First of all, Motorcraft oil is complete junk. This is not my opinion, this is fact based on compiled oil analysis data that has been databased over the years as compared to other oils. It has horrible shearing (it shears down to a lighter weight within 2000 miles), and very low burn off tolerance (it burns off very quickly). The additive package is usually completely depleated by 5000 miles. And this is for the Motorcraft full syn, so think how much worse the semi is.

Second, I do not believe it to be a good idea running oil past 5000 miles, unless you are using oil that can make it that far. The manufacturer intervals on maintanance things are getting rediculously stupid in the past few years. If you are running motorcraft oil to 7500 miles, then I am not surprised you are burning it off.

Used oil analyses published at Bobistheoilguy.com show really good results for Motorcraft semi-syn and it is highly regarded on that forum. Amsoil if fine (if you can accept their ponzi-like marketing approach), but really only of benefit if you do truly extended oil change intervals. The world is full of cars that run 200,000 miles after factory-specified oil changes with ordinary, non-synthetic oils. No need to go to boutique oils like Amsoil to get really good service from your engine, just buy a name brand of the suggested viscosity and change it regularly.

My PERSONAL advice, is to switch to Amsoil 5-20 full syn. It has the highest burn off rate of any brand, has a better additive package, does not shear down, and I run my engines at 10k intervals with it.

With that said, this is my opinion. I know how oil threads can go, and I am not trying to start a 30 page discussion on oil. I've been through many of them.
Motorcraft semi-syn is highly regarded on Bobistheoilguy.com based on used oil analyses published there, so it certainly isn't junk. Amsoil if fine (if you can accept its Ponzi-like marketing approach), but is really only useful if you go to truly extended oil change intervals. The world is full of cars that go 200,000 miles following the factory maintenance schedule with regular old conventional oil. To get really good service out of an engine, there's no need to go to an expensive, boutique oil like Amsoil, just use a name brand meeting the correct specs and change it regularly.