Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2013 Order Guide Released
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #200
Pretherius
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97062
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sedan 5-Spd Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 Pretherius Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_HedgeHog View Post
But think about it this way guys and gals... You're paying more for a car without year 1 problems ;) LOL
Sucks if you consider all of us 2012 owners who haven't had any problems. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyall2010 View Post
I do not think you are missing anything else. You are correct that Ford is trying to push the Focus upmarket. However, many people still think of Ford as a budget brand so I would say good luck with that.

One of the few bright things about the 2013's option list is that the SFE package is $95 (because you lose alloys for steels). Though if you get that package, you are limited on other options. Also a stripped down SYNC can be installed in the "S" for about $295 (or so).
I'm not going to be in the market for a 2013 so I don't have much stake in the debate, but I generally agree with others that the changes for '13 are largely not good ideas on Ford's part. Granted, I'm more of a function-over-style kind of person, and I bought a 5-speed SE sedan with the cruise package, so this is a pretty stripped down car as they go.

However, the fact that you can buy a Ford compact costing well over $25,000 is amazing to me, honestly. These cars were -already- priced upscale for 2012. Sorry but if it weren't for the $2,500 in rebates I picked up in March I'd be driving a 2012 Elantra right now.

I hate the interior of that stupid Dodge Dart and I think Chryslers are generally pretty crappy cars, but the way they're doing more a la carte options is beating Ford by a mile. I had to get map lights and a perimeter alarm just to get cruise; that's freakin' stupid. 3 features that are completely unrelated get packed together to justify a $400 price tag for cruise control plus a couple extremely minor features that cost Ford a few dollars in parts and wiring to add.

And now for 2013 if I want rear discs on a lower trim model--of all the simple desires--I'm looking at $2,500 appearance package? WTF?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I agree with you to a point - the problem is, the 2013 Focus seems to be more expensive than the outgoing 2012 with not much (if any) more content.

But, maybe Ford has the sales to back this up. I doubt that make these kinds of decisions without data of some sort.
I don't know, man. I've worked at big companies long enough to see that some pretty serious decisions get made without the data and information to back it up.

I can promise you that Mulally wasn't involved in the decision how to package or price leather seating or map lights, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
Gotta say I've seen a lot more 2012s in the last few months then I did all of last year, a significant amount in fact, so something is going right.
Same here. Saw loads more Focuses and Fiestas in the past couple of months.