Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle)
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #262
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
The biggest problem for me has been duplication of the noise.

My route to work every morning is a perfect test bed for producing the noise. Finding areas around the first dealership I took the car to where I could accurately duplicate the issue was a huge problem, on top of a service staff that was completely unwilling to cooperate or acknowledge anything outside of 'normal.'

I'm hoping I won't get stonewalled tomorrow morning by this new dealer and they're at least willing to listen to me. I also have the wiper gasket recall to take care of, plus an annoying issue with SYNC I'd like to have checked.

Noemi, I've already contacted my customer service rep about this, she's opened the case back up and will follow up with me on Thursday.

Something I've discovered on the Mazda forum:

The end of the coil spring is supposed to be aligned with the indexing tab on the strut bearing, as displayed in the image above. If it is not, it could (more like will) cause premature failure of the strut bearing due to the strut bearing not being aligned with the angle of the spring. There could be an issue with assembly at the factory where the coil springs are not getting aligned properly to the strut bearing, which would induce premature bearing failure. This is something that isn't hard to check yourself, either.