View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #114
Pretherius
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97062
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sedan 5-Spd Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 Pretherius Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Aside from the safety issue (which, yes, is a big issue), are drum brakes even cheaper to make than discs? My whole beef with this is that it has to cost very nearly the same or perhaps even less to make discs, plus consider the logistical simplification from putting discs on at the factory and never even stocking drums and shoes and springs and clips and star wheels etc. I do imagine calipers are the major cost but those can't be that much more than drum brake cylinders...

I utterly hate working on drum brakes:

With discs, it's typically 4 bolts per wheel, compress the piston, and put it back together. You can do a front disc job with new pads and rotors in well under an hour.

With drums... 1 hour trying to make the brake spoon engage the star wheel and fail, 30 minutes trying to pry the drums off the pad and fail because of the rust lip on the drum, spend 2 hours hammering off the old drums in half-inch chunks, undo all the springs and pins without cutting a gash through your hand, try to reassemble new hardware (you DID buy new hardware right??) and realize you should have left the other side intact until you put this side back together because you can't remember how everything should connect. 6 hours later and it's good as new. Not to mention your brake shoes had lots of life left in them but you couldn't tell that because you can't see them easily without removing the drum...

What a damn hassle. All so car companies can sell you on an "upgrade" to safety equipment that be standard. I've got ABS, ESC, TC, and a billion air bags, but I still have to pay extra for rear discs...