Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2013 Order Guide Released
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #111
danyall2010
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89399
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 danyall2010 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imccrea View Post
That was listed as a Focus S which obviously has drums, now different publications have different specs as Ford doesn't list it nor does Hyundai. But still a lighter weight vehicle with 4 wheel disc should stop quicker than a Focus with rear drums you'd think?
Since the front brakes does about 75% of the stopping, it depends on what the front brake size and design is. Typically in a front wheel drive car, most of the weight is in the front (perhaps up to 2/3). When you brake, the weight shifts to the front, thus giving the front brakes more work. Naturally, many cars with rear drums will pull an acceptable (or sometimes above acceptable) distances.

The concern is what happens when you add weight to the back, whether it is people and/or cargo. In this type of situation, you will have more weight, giving the back brakes more work. The weight distribution changes. Disk brakes have better cooling than drums, resulting in less fade. Although drum brake design is getting better, the possibility of fade is still there and it is possible for it to overheat more quickly.

I am wondering if journalistic publications should give distances empty and fully loaded so we can get a clearer picture.

I hope my explaination makes sense.