Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #1128
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83605
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Ingot Silver HB

FF Reputation: 1 sirhawkeye Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
OK, an update to my transmission TSB update:

Now that I've put about 500 miles on the car since the update, it seems to be doing better. I wouldnt really call it a fix at all. It's an improvement. At least, shifting between gears it more smooth. There is still clutch noise, and occasionally it is "notchy" at times, especially if you have to make a panic stop and then accelerate again, but overall it's better. It shifts more smoothly. Holds gears much longer than before and I think my fuel economy has improved slightly (maybe only 2 MPG or so, but it's better than it was). So far, I'm satisfied with the update (I won't say "pleased", though). At least the knocking noises associated with low speed crawling (like creeping forward at a light) is gone. And now when I take my foot off the brake, it doesn't seem to jolt at all like it used to, as it was moving into first to move forward.

Finally, I no longer have to tap the gas to get the car to back up. It seems to shift into reverse and move into reverse like every other car I've owned (before I"d have to hit the gas, and the car would sort of jump into reverse--sometimes scary because the car could suddenly surge in reverse for a split second with the tap of the gas to get the car to go into reverse...) Luckily this issue is gone.

Like I said, it's an improvement. There is still more room for improvement though, and hopefully Ford will continue to perfect the shift strategy programming and release future updates for these cars. But also I have to keep in mind that it may also be related to the clutches as well.