Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle)
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 08:24 AM   #244
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelociRacer View Post
Just a hunch but has anyone checked if the hood is touching the headlamp lens when you press down on the hood just above the headlamp?

There are 2 large round pads on each side of the radiator that are adjustable and control the position of the hood when closed. Everyone should make fine adjustments as there's huge variation from factory.

Screw them down all the way and you can see a little gap to the hood if you shine a flashlight. Unscrew them up a few turns at a time until they barely touch the hood when closed. The correct height would be 1 or 2 turns up from that point, no more, no less.

EDIT: A strip of weather seal foam (closed-cell) on the hood edge (headlamp area) should take care of this issue as well.
This is just me but I don't think its anything like that at all. If it were the case I would hear the noise all the time and would probably be able to reproduce it by lifting up and pressing down on the hood. Also the Ford Tech's connected electronic listening devices to my car and isolated the issue at the struts.

If anything, my theory is, its possibly a design flaw. Maybe a bushing that doesn't quite seat right when the springs compress. So those that have had Ford replace the springs end up saying it didn't resolve the issue. No fix likely until the Ford Engineers come up with something and hopefully soon.

FWIW - My Dealership has parts on order for my car so next week after they install them I will let everyone know if it made any difference. If it doesn't, It will be curious what my dealership techs come up with next.