Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2012 Focus Transmission Shaking
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #394
shudder
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97667
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 shudder Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I've been in my '12 Titanium now since March 18th. I came to these forums precisely because of the DCT shudder issue. I, too, took my car back to the dealership within a week of owning it where it was flashed (so there may indeed have been real trouble with mine), but the more I drive this type of tranny, the more I am turning into a believer of it, and in two very specific ways: 1] I believe the Ford DCT is helping my car reach potential MPG an auto tranny or even a manual-driven-by-a-human cannot achieve; and, 2] I believe that folks who are expecting the DCT to 'act' like an automatic need to be educated on how and why the DCT is different than manual transmissions, but also the automatic transmissions of yesteryear.

One issue I am responding to -- the rolling backwards on a hill issue, which is of concern to folks -- has been answered by r1derbike, above. This is expected, as mentioned, because of the DCT transmission, and how it behaves differently (see: Hill Assist).

I devised an obvious and simple test based on the behavior of the DCT that demonstrates in no uncertain terms how very different the DCT is from other kinds of transmissions:

1. Come to a full stop
2. Put your LEFT foot on the brake
3. Rev the engine with your RIGHT foot on the gas pedal

An automatic transmissioin will push forward against your braking because they are always in gear, but the DCT revs up like a manual because it is in fact in neutral! Term it a manual-driven-by-a-computer if you like.

Doing just this one test should demonstrate to any driver just how very different the DCT is from a manual transmission, but also how very different it is from an automatic transmission.

I think any sales person who takes a potential buyer out on a test drive of the PowerShift transmission should make sure the customer does this exact test. It was like an epiphany for me: It really does bring to light how very different this transmission is from everything else, and that it requires a new way of driving (just like automatics did when they first emerged on the scene lo those many years ago...).

- shud