Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2012 Focus Transmission Shaking
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 04:01 AM   #11
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1derbike View Post
I'm a bit flumoxxed about all the complaints of rolling backwards. When the brake is depressed slightly, the clutch is disengaged, and on a hill it will of course roll backwards if one of two things aren't present:

1. Brake is not depressed far enough to keep the car from rolling backwards on a slight incline.

2. The incline is not steep enough for the rollback brake (hill hold feature) to engage and stay engaged for a short time when the brake is released, and forward progress is underway.

Both my '09 and '10 Foci rolled backward worse than my new SE.

I could see an odd mechanical failure creep-in, and that should be looked at pronto, but I've had no issues with scary rolling backwards incidents. You catch the rear movement (slight rear roll) with the accelerator on takeoff and all is nice. Just like driving a manual, but with no clutch pedal.

Are there really widespread mechanical failures with backward roll issues, or are most of the cases failures to properly judge what's going-on (how the DCT works?) and driving the car as it was designed?

Please add some feedback; I'm confused...really.
My experience is the same as you describe. I always depress the brake to avoid the possibility of any rollback. Works like a charm.