Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Stealth CAI--What to expect and what NOT to do.
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 11:25 PM   #64
An Audio Guru
Da fofo love remains

Fan#: 84263
What I Drive: 05 Red ZX3, 92 V6 Ranger, 07 Sonata

FF Reputation: 5 An Audio Guru Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJohnson View Post
I just want to point out that water splashing on the filter, while it can and does cause sputtering, will definitely not cause hydrolock. Hydrolocking is what happens when the filter is submerged under water and the engine sucks water into the piston chamber, resulting in too much pressure and usually cracking, bending or breaking the rod/s while at the same time forcing the engine to immediately stall.

Hydrolocking can be avoided by installing a U-pipe to bring the filter back up to a safer height and avoiding puddles deep enough to submerge the filter.

Water being splashed onto the filter can be avoided by installing a splash guard underneath the filter and connecting it to the fender liner.
Was a learning experience for me and when my car did keep stalling I just did away with the CAI and did the SRI instead. Didn't have the patience to guess work and the car came with its own splash gaurd shield. Mostly it was water from the rear wheels of cars in front or just raining sideways. In through the grill and my empty fog light holes...lol. But it never actually went into complete hydro just close....even my Ford dealer said that...hence "almost". They wanted to charge me over $1k to put back to normal and replace the shorted out MAF. I laughed. But yeah if it went into hydrolock their would have been no saving it for sure.
Hatch Nation #129
Elder Audio Guru
Sep11' HOTM Beatin' Down The Block