Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - My Ford Touch Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #1562
electech
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85620
What I Drive: '12 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 electech Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhemti View Post
They didn't start over, but they have to do a ground up repair.

Think of it like this....

Every feature is a file with some code in it. Now when Ford realize how poorly the code was in these files they had to fix it and they decided to do it in-house. Now I can only imagine with poor code came even worse code commenting.So now we have a Ford software engineer looking at crappy code with even worse comments explaining what the sections of code within each of these files does. BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE! In order to avoid redundancy functions are written once in most programs and then called upon when needed. So some issues may actually be caused by one of these other functions that is called up as needed. So now the Ford software engineer fixes the function. Well that fixed one feature but another feature relied on that broken piece to function, so now it is broken. And the cycle continues and our Ford software engineer is soon found either or , and most likely .

Would a from scratch rebuild be the best path? Probably. The fatest? No.

Mistakes were certainly made, not the least of them designing the UI in Flash Lite. (Bleh.) We will see improvements though, it'll just take time. I hope 2012 owners aren't forgotten about though.

Hey, Ford reps, care to chime in?
I agree. Having spent 30 years in electronics, I know all too well the frustration of trying to figure out what in the crap is going on in software when some idiot has poorly, or worse, no comments. Then, poor programmers can do such a piss poor job of programming that it takes forever to figure out what they were thinking, assuming they were thinking at all. The trouble or limitation is the hardware and since the way to make it seem faster is to do a patch job with a rewrite, that is what Ford evidently did. We better be glad they just didn't say heck with it and do new hardware and their own programming from the ground up for the 2013 models. It will take time to have the speed everyone wants while maintaining a streamlined program that doesn't bog the system. You can create errors yourself by trying to tap onscreen buttons too quickly and trying to race at the speed of light to the next thing. I had to caution my operators many times about this, it usually caused me going to the machine and rebooting it and then explaining the way the software worked and they had to slow down. Lots of B.S called but I gave up trying to explain it. I am sure this process will continue to evolve. Do you remember how buggy Windows has been in the past? No doubt this is aggravating but give them a chance. Now, does that mean they could do better at saying the problems and fixes upfront, ABSOLUTELY. But, some corporate lawyer type is sitting around with his or her sphincter puckering up at the mere thought of any mention of any sort that could possibly be construed as "at fault". It depends on your definition of "is"!!!!