boilersox
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96712
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 boilersox Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altis View Post
I think you'll find many people think the new MFT looks very plain and incomplete by comparison to previous MFT and other touch screen systems.

Having massive next/pause/previous buttons, using giant bold letters for everything, and RDS info that uses only a tiny little block of the screen (compared with the Dodge/Chrysler version, which shows the complete RDS data at once). They even desaturated the colours from MFT2 to MFT3. We have 2 Foci, one still on 2 and one forced to upgrade to 3.

My point is that it's still slow to respond (albeit, feels faster than 2) compared to competitors products. That Chrysler one you can mash buttons all day and the delay is never more than 0.5 seconds til the next screen... usually it's there before you remove your finger.
While it definitely looks to be more responsive, I highly disagree on the UI. I don't understand what the fascination is with cluttering a screen with a whole bunch of "stuff." The old MFT was a cluster. It was. You may have been used to it, but sometimes change is good. I don't think they dumbed it down, I think they realized it was a mess and fixed it. You may have lost some things, but what you got was an incredibly more intuitive interface. Ask any UI expert, they will agree.

I think MFT's interface has this Chrysler interface beat easily. MFT is not "incomplete", it's simple, and simple is GOOD, especially in a freakin' car. If Ford got complaints that their system was too difficult to use, Chrysler is definitely going to be getting them. Would place a bet that Chrysler's will cause a lot more accidents, too.

For what it's worth, I'm so glad I didn't listen to a lot of the opinions in this thread, and went through with getting MFT. To those thinking about getting it, go for it, it's awesome. Sure, it has bugs, but software without bugs does not exist.