View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #112
Power Surge
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55878
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE 5-door

FF Reputation: 1 Power Surge Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have a few disappointments as well, however they are not so much technical ones.

I found my car using the Ford dealer search. The car showed at my local dealer, but was in fact not there, as it was in transit so I could not see it in person.

So my "goodies" list on this car was solely based off the downloadable window sticker. Now all this SYNC and MFT stuff is new to me. I spent some time on Ford's site seeing what it was all about. On my window sticker, it reads "MYFORD & SYNC PACKAGE" and right under that it also reads "MYFORDTECH/6SPKR/SIRIUS". My impression from how this is written, was that this car had the touch screen deal. "Myford", "myfordtouch", "myfordtech"....could they make it any more confusing? It's like when you watch a movie where two of the main characters actors look very alike and you have trouble following who's who. So my car comes in and I have no big screen in the dash and I ask why and they say my car didn't have that option. I felt a little slighted on the advertising.

Another advertising beef is that I don't recall in any of the SYNC commercials that Ford makes it clear that SYNC goes through your smartphone. After the dealer spent a half hour explaining all the cool things it does, I finally ask "does this all go through my phone?". And they say yeah, you need a smart phone. I was thinking from all the commercials that this was like an OnStar type deal. What if I didn't have a smartphone? I'd have been pissed.

And the last thing, which may be my own issue because I'm not really a technofile, is that all this voice command stuff just seems WAY more complicated than just using my damn phone and ipod separately. I can plug my ipod into the aux port and choose a song on the ipod itself in about 5 seconds. Trying to do it through the USB port and using voice commands, I couldn't even get it to switch tracks in 5 minutes of trying.

I'm sure all the SYNC features are neat, and I WANT to start using them and take advantage of the system, but it just irks me that my phone does all the same stuff and yet I have to use the phone as a middleman for another system to now do it.
2008 Vista Blue SE (gone)