Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - results from my ASVAB
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #16
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97985
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 6 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoAnimal View Post
One thing to keep in mind when you hit your duty station... self improvement. take college courses which cost very little. you can also go on ako and order courses for other mos's, there are lots of different options for education.
The more you do for yourself, the better your record look come time for promotion and such. Most units will work with you so you can have the time to attend courses if needed. There are also tons of online courses which can be done from anywhere.
It also helps immensly when re enlistment time comes.
with the drawdown, some are being denied re-enlistment for various reasons including lack of self improvement.
Great Advice here. I am currently serving myself Active Duty Army as a 91E (Machinist). Been in for 3 years already and just re-enlisted in Afghanistan. Do as much College as you can, it's paid for as long as you are Active Duty through Tuition Assistance from the Ed Centers on Post. Don't think because you are a Infantry guy, that you are going deployed a lot. You will have the time to do college and your leadership should support you as well. I completed some college while I was deployed in Afghanistan. Now in December I am moving to Eglin AFB to reclass (change MOS) to 89D (Explosive Ordnance Disposal). Network as much as you can, including with the Contractors, if you deploy. If you get a good contact with one of the contractors at a private security firm, you could land on of those high speed high paying jobs when you decide to get out, if you do. When you go through Basic/AIT, be motivated, even if it is false motivation. Listening to the Drill Sergeant's and being motivated will make Basic and AIT much easier for yourself. If you decide to go Special Forces, you will go to Airborne and Air Assault School before you start SF school,the whole process is very long. I have a few friends that are SF, they say it is very hard, but worth it. But it requires you to have your whole heart in it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I will do my best to answer them or find you the right answer.

Active Duty US Army. MOS 91E (Machinist). OEF Vet.