Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Post your mod pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 11:59 PM   #69
NRG_Zeal
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95088
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL hatch

FF Reputation: 1 NRG_Zeal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusinva View Post
How easy does the carbon fiber go on? I found some 3M on eBay.
Its quite forgiving to work with DiNoc Vinyl. All you need is a heat gun or blow dryer and a sharp knife to cut off the excess. If you accidentally wrinkle it while applying it you can pull it back off, blast it with the heat gun and it'll smooth out again. Air bubbles can be moved out easily as well if any form before wrapping the edges.

Everything else is down to how well you know how to work with vinyl. Heat helps a lot when applying it and it stretches fairly well without warping the pattern too much.

Theres a lot of videos on youtube of people wrapping different parts of cars, Thats also a good way to learn how to work with it.

I'm talking about 3M DiNoc vinyl specifically, dont know how other vinyls with CF textures will behave. I ordered mine on http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com

They ship free 4"x8" samples as well. Its 8 bucks per sample but its a good way to see if you like how the material looks. 2 samples was enough for me to
wrap the parking brake and shiftier.

I should also note that for some larger application a sort of adhesive base may be needed on the wrap-around edges. I think 3M has a recommended one as well but I need to re-check that.