Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - *FREE Trophy Valve Cover kit + T Shirt + Graphic Kit w/ purhcase of ULTIMATE Head!*
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 12:43 AM   #18
tungfumaster
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18237
What I Drive: 2006 infra red ST

FF Reputation: 1 tungfumaster Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by K Dog View Post
I'll be more than happy to sell you anything you want, but I will not "tell you what you want to hear", only to have you disappointed later.

I'm sure the car would perform great with the mods you have and the cylinder head. But personally, I'd want to make use of my $1500 head better.

Ford was able to garner PZEV status and maintain excellent MPG with the Duratec by making an efficient head and very conservative camshaft specs. The stage 1 is a big improvement. The stage 2 Crowers will provide much more power through the mid and high range (should you purchase a suitable intake manifold) with little to no appreciable loss in low end.

If you can "get your money back" on them, I would. They would be great for someone with a stock cyl head.

Not wanting a "tacky tach" is no reason to install components that are less then ideal for your combo. My speedo only goes to 140 - doesnt mean I shouldn't try and go faster! ;)

I too am not much for big 5" monster tachs, especially in my street cars.

I've got an Autometer 2 1/16" DPSS in my race car. Small package combines digital tach (0-15K) along with a multi stage shift light, launch light, etc.

Combine that with a mounting cup:

And you've got a nice low key accurate tool.
Well, I definitely don't want you to lie to me, that's not it...Brutal honesty is how I roll.

I just need suggestions getting this car how I want it in the most efficient route. You guys are the pros and all I know is what I want. How to get there? Your department.

Now we're getting somewhere.

Regarding the cams, can we get them to idle decently?

And I love the tach...I can work with that.

Is there any way you can think of, to build for some NA fun for now and be able to add boost later if I get bored?

As far as the manifold goes, I may need to replace (delete?) my PCV. I think it would be highly wasteful not to go ahead and do the manifold since the labor is overlapping anyway...I'm kind of curious about TopSpeed's allegedly forthcoming offering.

Regarding the PCV...The car is at 89 K and burning some oil. Dealer says PCV, valve seals, or piston rings are the culprit. I asked them about a compression test as said dealership overfilled the crankcase by 3.5 quarts ] at 40k. They said that wouldn't tell me anything. Is that true? This is my thought process with the head...verify the block is sound, then just handle the PCV and head (valve seals) at the same time. I'm not real big on spending a bunch of cash for maintenance....boooring...I'd rather just upgrade. And I want to make sure the motor is healthy before I start throwing money at it.

I'm really starting to think I'm over complicating this. Part of me thinks I should just drive up and have you install what I have + manifold and drive it for a while. It should be a decent upgrade. I'd be fine with 200 at the crank for now. I really don't trust my dealership to do this and nobody around here builds Foci.

If I went that route, what would I be looking at to install the following?

Crane STG 1's
Cossie header and flex
Manifold + replace or delete PCV
CFM underdrive pulleys (your thoughts on these would be appreciated as I haven't purchased them yet.)
SCT + Tune + Dyno

If you'd like to move this conversation to PM, I will keep an eye on my inbox.

Thanks!
ST Crew #30
1990 SHO (gone), 1992 SHO (gone), 1999 Lincoln Continental (crushed), 2000 ZX2 (gone), 2004 Duratec PZEV, 2006 Infra Red ST, 2009 Focus SE Sport, 2010 Fusion Sport FWD (gone), 2011 Fusion Sport AWD.
ST Dyno 139/139